Tuesday, May 15, 2012

reality tv

I can not and will not deny that sometimes I get sucked into watching the Bachelor/Bachelorette on ABC. Last night I was watching the first episode of this new season where all of the eligible bachelors come in and introduce themselves to the bachelorette, Emily. As they each come in, trying to be unique so she'll actually remember them when the rose ceremony comes around, I thought to myself "This is why dating is ridiculously hard." Out of 25 guys, there are only 3 that seem normal and at least 8 who I would consider Freak Show creepy. One came in with an egg in which he declared that he would carry around with him like a Love Fern showing how much he cared. There was another guy who dressed up as a grandmother. Yes, a grandmother. Why on earth he think that would impress her is beyond me. Did she remember him? Probably. As the guy NOT to pick at the end of the night. There were others who made fools of themselves by flying in on a helicopter to stand out or making a bobble head of himself and one of Emily. Some came nervously up the path and all they could muster out was "You're so beautiful." Really? That's it?

My point is: This is what we have to choose from?!

Obviously not. The beauty of actual reality is that its usually not set up like this. One girl, twenty five guys and four weeks of scrambling for attention. But between these 'reality romance tv shows', growing up with Happily Ever After stories and then all the overzealous Nicholas Sparks books, it feels like we single daters out there have no chance at a normal, healthy relationships. We have to constantly remind ourselves that being whisked away on an airplane to China for a "one-on-one" date or meeting Prince Charming on a horse in the forest is not only unrealistic, its just plain stupid.

I would love to hear how any of our married friends out there met their husbands. Leave a comment with your story. If you're not married but dating someone great and have an uplifting dating story, please share.




4 comments:

  1. Our boss' set me and Jimmie up. They took us to Quiznos and we could all eat lunch and then decide if we wanted to go on a date. I met Jimmie and He probably said only 3 or 4 words to me. I didn't think he was interested. I had told myself this was the last set up. I was tired of being on horrible dates and was ready to be by myself for a while. He texted me the next day. I was glad he said Hi this was Jimmie cause I didn't remember his name. Our first date he called last minuet and changed what we were doing and it was me him and his cousin Joe Joe and we drove up to salt lake and watched a low budget hunting movie. My friends were very surprised that there was a 2nd date.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *drops head in shame* we met on facebook. dev added me thinking i was cute, i accepted thinking i might know him and we just started chatting it up, emails - texts - phone calls - dates - marriage! the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #1- I love this blog idea. You truly are so creative and I know without a shadow of a doubt that you are going to be successful and always happy.
    #2- I know you didn't ask for my opinion, but here it is: Most people in this state get married WAY too young. They miss out on what it is like to be an adult with a different mind/thoughts dating someone. (Which is very different) I was married at 25 and really I could have waited even longer. Mainly because there is a great-big-huge world out there and having kids and getting married isn't the top of everyones list. Some people just have a different path. I need to remind you that being 20-something and single is so normal everywhere else. Enjoy your life. Do the things on your long list you want to do because you can. Remember that this is your life and you can and should do what you want to do. Who cares what people think is "normal" because marriage and kids is hard and wouldn't our world be a little easier if everyone was mature enough to handle it. I love you Jess with all of my being and not ONE second of ANY day do I worry that you are not going to get married or whatever it is that people think should happen. You will find that wonderful guy when it is supposed to happen. Forcing the issue......you might not find that one you were supposed to. You are you, that is truer than true! ENJOY IT. Go to Paris, write a book and just be you.
    Love you
    Kam-a-lam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same FHE group. I was the mom, he was the dad... not so exciting. Not a story for Mr.Sparks either. :)

    ReplyDelete